Funding parkinson's Research
Shake It Off, Inc. is focused on the science of exercise for those with Parkinson's disease. We are proud to have funded many local and national research, including the University of Delaware, the Cleveland Clinic, the Michael J. Fox Foundation, the Brian Grant Foundation, and the Davis Phinny Foundation. We are always interested in hearing about research involving exercise and Parkinson's disease. Continue reading to learn more about Shake It Off’s funding research initiatives.
Shake It Off, Inc. 2024 Exercise for Parkinson's Disease Research Funding Program
Call for Letters of Intent
An active commitment to support and fund research focused on the impact of exercise in improving the quality of life for people living with Parkinson's disease is central to advancing Shake It Off's mission of helping people with Parkinson's to live well. SIO is calling for Letters of Intent (LOI) from researchers and program directors during the period commencing January 1, 2024 and concluding December 31, 2024.
Awards will range up to $50,000 to encourage all levels of research and scientific study that pertain to the impact of exercise on people with Parkinson's. The total amount may be disbursed to a single proposal or multiple proposals.
Shake It Off is committed to funding the most promising research aimed at exercise that promotes living well with Parkinson's disease. Shake It Off has identified funding priorities for 2024:
- The impact of exercise on Parkinson's Disease specific symptoms.
- Methods for dissemination of evidence-based exercise for people with Parkinson's Disease.
We encourage the submission of LOIs that focus on either of these topics.
Letter of Intent (LOI) deadline is October 1, 2024.
LOI submission is a required part of the application process. All LOIs will be reviewed and evaluated by the Shake It Off Advisory Committee. Submissions will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevance (Does the project fit within the Shake It Off research priorities and/or the mission to help people with Parkinson's live well today?)
- Significance (Does the project address an important aspect of quality of life for people living with Parkinson's? Will the lives of those living with Parkinson's be improved with knowledge gained from this project? Is it scientifically compelling?)
- Innovation (Does the project use innovative concepts, approaches, methodologies, and/or interventions to address the quality of life of those living with Parkinson's?)
- Approach (Does the project have an achievable and appropriate design, timeline, and budget?)
LOI Submission Process
Please include the following information in this order when you prepare your LOI:
- Principal Investigator Contact Information (Institution, Mailing address, Email, Phone)
- Project Title
- Project Summary (300 words maximum, brief summary)
- Impact on Living Well with Parkinson's (150 words maximum)
- Project Duration (Months)
- Proposed Timeline (a brief description of project activity)
- Total Budget Requested
- Proposed Budget (brief note on intended use of funds)
- Key Personnel (name, credentials, institution, project role)
- How will Shake It Off be recognized as a funding partner for the project?
- LOI should not exceed three pages double spaced
Only one LOI per research study or program should be submitted. Resubmissions of previously reviewed LOIs will be accepted only if significant changes have been made since the original submission. LOIs will only be accepted via email.
Applicants will receive a confirmation email when their LOI has been received, and they will be notified via email regarding invitations to submit a full application. If you have any questions, contact us at [email protected]